About Me

My photo
Quaker, French-speaker, educator, anti-racist; Southern-born & raised, and talking enthusaist.

2023-08-06

Places of refuge and power

 I just left the #Quaker meeting (church) where I grew up in Knoxville.  The #meetinghouse and #greencemetery sit on 13 acres of wooded land.  Just to walk the grounds is calming and peaceful.  It's a small group of people still trying to let the #Light teach them the way of #surrendering to #love.  I visited my late partner's grave that his mother and father tend.  I marveled at the raw beauty.  Rain tumbled through he trees as sunlight tried to find a way through the dense summer foliage.  The Baptists developed the land below, it's all parking lots, buildings and roads.  The neighbors to one side sold their land which will soon have multiple houses on it. But there are enough trees and plants growing that in the late spring, summer and early fall, it is an oasis from the encroaching development of West Knoxville.  The sound of traffic is blocked, and I could only hear #woodpeckers, chirping birds, and chattering #squirrels. I could see and hear jumping #chipmunks and the wind blowing through the trees. Unseen are the slithering #snakes, and creepy crawly bugs, lest I stop and be still, wait, listen and see whats really going on. I'm reminded that my Quaker spiritual practice even works in nature.  I am reminded this morning that while the message of surrender, love, inward  transformation and regeneration may seem quaint, while in this world of division, hatred, fear, violence, self-obsession, addiction and attachments to things, ideas, people and certain religious and political doctrines and dogma appear to dominate, here, in the middle of suburban Knoxville, there is a spiritual oasis and font of power whether one attends the Quakers' quiet meetings or walks the grounds "alone." Anyone can come whether to see if this could be part of their practice, a new way of life, or just a place to walk, or sit and be.  Anyone is welcome, no one will ask anyone to "convert" or believe anything ;and if someone doesn't want to attend Quaker meetings, they can enjoy the grounds any day.   When I get back to Baltimore,  I have to remember to find and return to places of refuge and power, both within, and around our city.

No comments:

Post a Comment